25 Math Love Songs and Other Mathematically Themed Videos
Last updated on 2023/02/14
- Kiss Off - Violent Femmes
- One - Harry Nilsson
- Chicago x 12 - Rogue Wave
- Love and Mathematics - Broken Social Scene
- Three is a Magic Number - Blind Melon
- Forecast Fascist Future - Of Montreal
- Insurance Fraud #2 - Mountain Goats
- Pinball Number Count - The Postmarks
- Mandelbrot Set - Johnathan Coulton
- Random Number Generation - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Back when I was 4 - Jeffrey Lewis
- P.O Box 9847 - The Monkees
- Psalms 40:2 - Mountain Goats
- Zilch- The Monkees
- (What a) Wonderful World- Sam Cooke
- 40 Day Dream - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes
- Section 12 (Hold Me Now)- The Polyphonic Spree
- Made-up Love Song #43 - The Guillemots
- 1234 - Feist
- Down at the So and So on Somewhere - The Fiery Furnaces
- My Mathematical Mind - Spoon
- Another Hundred People - Company
- A Fortnight’s Time - Maximo Park
- Infinity - BETTY
- X Amount of Words - Blue October
Are you looking for some math love songs? I once made a mix tape for a mathematician. It only included mathematically related songs. I didn’t keep a copy of that mix, unfortunately. This list includes more than the original. I’ve added some new math love songs and some about numbers. As well as other mathematical terms. I hope you will discover something new!
In no particular order…
1. Kiss Off - Violent Femmes
There is a section in this song that has them counting off to ten. A great song. One of my favorites.
2. One - Harry Nilsson
Does anyone know what a busy signal is anymore? The origin of one is the loneliest number.
3. Chicago x 12 - Rogue Wave
A band that I love. Chosen for the multiplication in the title. The video has Bob Odenkirk. What more do you want?
4. Love and Mathematics - Broken Social Scene
Another one of my favorite bands is the Canadian supergroup Broken Social Scene. This is also my favorite record by them. It seems kismet that they would include an instrumental track with this title. It is my love song for mathematics. It is also my most-played song of 2022.
5. Three is a Magic Number - Blind Melon
This was on an album that I owned of School House Rocks covers. It is one of my favorites as well.
6. Forecast Fascist Future - Of Montreal
This is an excuse to include a song that I love. But there is a bit at the end where he talks about numbers. It fits, I swear. ;)
7. Insurance Fraud #2 - Mountain Goats
I included this song because its title contains a number. Also, great band and a great song.
8. Pinball Number Count - The Postmarks
A cover of the Pointer Sisters Pinball Number Count from Sesame Street. It’s slowed down and I find it rather relaxing.
9. Mandelbrot Set - Johnathan Coulton
My first math dream was about the Mandelbrot Set.
10. Random Number Generation - Hedwig and the Angry Inch
This is the live version with Lena Hall and Miriam Shor. I love this video. The two Yitzhaks together with their powerful voices.
11. Back when I was 4 - Jeffrey Lewis
Lots of number name checks in this one.ne of my favorite lyrics.
” And back when I was 12 or so I swear to god I never felt so low / Everyone but me was making out and eating cookies”
12. P.O Box 9847 - The Monkees
Another out-of-date reference to when people would leave personal ads with P.O. box numbers. But, yeah, another song that focuses on a number.
13. Psalms 40:2 - Mountain Goats
A second Mountain Goats song! Its got a number in the title and it rocks.
14. Zilch- The Monkees
Zilch is another word for zero.
15. (What a) Wonderful World- Sam Cooke
One of the great math love songs featuring a whole verse dedicated to mathematics.
16. 40 Day Dream - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes
That is some good psychedelic modern rock
17. Section 12 (Hold Me Now)- The Polyphonic Spree
I heard this song in a commercial ad. It freaked me out because I thought this was rather obscure. Great song. I only learned about this band a few years ago from a friend. Good music.
18. Made-up Love Song #43 - The Guillemots
My favorite love song of all time. All time!
19. 1234 - Feist
A bit cliche because of its use in an iPod ad (remember ipods?) but this would be a mathematics mix without this song. Also, Feist is a member of Broken Social Scene.
20. Down at the So and So on Somewhere - The Fiery Furnaces
I didn’t think that I would see this band on this list. But they did it. Brand new song after their hiatus and its first verse is pretty math intensive.
“Trigonometry tutors often go to dance class three times a week
You taught me that at some point that night
Connecting dots, tangent to your cheek
You check your time warp watch in the car
The angle ain’t all oblique”
21. My Mathematical Mind - Spoon
Used to perfection in Stranger than Fiction. A great film for Numberphiles. Starring Will Ferrell, Tony Hale, Emma Thompson, Dustin Hoffman, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Queen Latifahah.
22. Another Hundred People - Company
Pour one out for Stephen Sondheim. A classic song from a classic musical. You can just feel the pulse of New York in this one.
23.A Fortnight’s Time - Maximo Park
A mention of multiplication. Still added it to the list.
24. Infinity - BETTY
The harmonies in this song are amazing. BETTY is a band that wrote and performed music for a children’s show on HBO called Encyclopedia. They are still around and making music.
25. X Amount of Words - Blue October
This is a song that I listen to sometimes when I’m depressed. It knows my pain and how I feel when I’m having an episode. It is a good song to listen to if you know someone who struggles with their mental health.
This is a pretty good selection of math love songs and other mathematical favorites. I would love to hear if you have anything else to add to this list.If you’re feeling generous, a small tip would mean the world to me and help keep this site going. Thank you for your support!